Did you know acupuncture can help with headaches, including migraines? According to clinical studies, 69% of participants experienced a 50% reduction in migraines for over 6 months. Chinese medicine heals the root cause of an issue, whereas western medicine often masks the pain temporarily.
Traditional Chinese Medicine views the body as an interconnected system where free flow of energy, known as Qi, is vital for optimal health. When Qi is blocked or imbalanced, health issues, including headaches and migraines, can manifest. Instead of just addressing the pain, acupuncture can restore overall balance in the body, leading to lasting relief.
- Some ways acupuncture works to heal headaches include:
- Relaxing the nervous system and reducing stress to prevent migraine triggers.
- Stimulating the release of endorphins and encouraging blood flow to alleviate pain.
- Relaxing muscles in the neck, shoulders, and head to release tension-related headaches.
- Ensuring oxygen and nutrients reach the brain more effectively, and relieving stagnation by moving qi and blood.
- Preventing the recurrence of headaches and migraines by bringing the body into a constant state of balance.
For chronic migraines, the best long-lasting results come from multiple acupuncture treatments over time. I recommend one treatment per week for 6-8 weeks, and depending on how you’re feeling, we may begin spacing the treatments out. It always depends on the person but I find that for chronic migraines, monthly maintenance treatments are very useful for prevention.
Large intestine 4 is an acupuncture point revered for its ability to alleviate headache pain. LI-4 is located on the back of your hand, in the soft area between your thumb and pointer finger. It is approximately level with the lower knuckle of the thumb. To find quick relief on your own, you can apply firm pressure on this point every so often.
If you’re ready to get some relief and try acupuncture for your migraines, you can schedule online here.
As always, feel free to call or email with your questions. I’m very happy to help.
Love & light,